Saturday, June 27, 2009

An education in cakes!?!

In patchwork terms, most of us have heard of the "fat quarter"...a piece of fabric measuring approximately 20 inches by 22inches. Most patchwork shops sell them, and fat quarters are a great way to build up your fabric stash. In my recent wanderings into patchwork stores and online sites, I have noticed a whole new way of selling fabric (keep in mind, I took quite a long break from patchwork while nurturing my obsession with scrapbooking...thus my ignorance LOL).

It's the names of these bundles of fabric that got me in though.

This is a Honey Bun...

...which consists of 40 x 1 1/2 inch strips cut from the width of the fabric. This is a Basic Grey Sultry Honey Bun by Moda......yuuuuuuummmmmmm!

Not to be confused with a Jelly Roll....
...which is 40 x 2 1/2 inch strips cut from the width of the fabric. This is a Jelly Roll of Eva by Basic Grey.......again, yuuuuuuummmmmmm!
Then you have a Layer Cake...

...which is 40 x 10 inch squares, in this case Urban Couture by Basic Grey.
Now for the trick question... if you combine a Jelly Roll and a Layer Cake, what do you get?? You guessed it....a Jelly Cake. Go figure. I even found a website selling Turnovers. What's a turnover? A pack of 80 x 6 inch half square triangles!
After all that research, I am feeling hungry!
TTFN xxx


texmorg said...

I would like the layer cake but wouldn't the honey bun be great for log cabins (NO CUTTING)my least favourite bit. Boy I think i need to go and get re-educated in a patchwork store.

Jenni said...

You lost me at honey bun!

Hope said...

Wow, I've heard of a jelly roll but the rest... hmm. There is a lot I don't know.