Monday, June 18, 2012

With sprinkles on top :)

Baking has taken over my Sundays lately. With the rainy weather we've been having and the chill in the air, there is nothing nicer than cranking up the oven and cooking something delicious for afternoon tea :)

I have my tried-and-true favourite recipes that I bake in heavy rotation...orange weetbix slice, cupcakes, vanilla slice, chocolate cake...but I've been on the lookout for a basic chocolate slice with sprinkles on top.



In my search, I came across a very basic, but very very yummy chocolate slice that I thought I should share. It came from an old cookbook that I bought from a pre-school fundraiser many years ago...those cookbooks always have the best recipes!

Ingredients
Base: 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
         1/2 cup coconut
         1 cup brown sugar
         2 tblspns drinking chocolate
         1 egg
         125 g margarine

 Mix dry ingredients together, then add beaten egg. Melt margarine and add to ingredients, bake in a greased slice tin in a moderate oven for 20 minutes.

Icing: 1 cup icing sugar
         1 tblspn margarine
         1 tblspn drinking chocolate
         1 tblspn boiling water

Combine all ingredients and cover base while still warm.

I added sprinkles on top...because I really really wanted a chocolate slice with sprinkles!

How's that for easy? I love any recipe that I can ice while still warm...so easy to prepare if  guests pop in for morning tea and are you totally unprepared...which I often am. I can see this one being a lunchbox favourite too.

Hope your Monday has been kind to you...and if you have a favourite chocolate slice recipe, please share!

TTFN xxx

3 comments:

Hope said...

Mmm.... it looks yummy, and quite similar to my favourite chocolate slice. I've posted the recipe on my blog for you :)

I like your photos. Photography lessons are going well I take it?

Anthea said...

Suzi - thanks for posting the recipe for this slice, i'll be back to copy & make it! I'm with Hope, your pics look like they are for a cookbook, well done... ♥

Jill said...

I love a good chocolate slice! (I think we call them "brownies" here.) Yours look super yummy, and I can imagine that the coconut is really tasty. Oh-- and of course, I love the sprinkles!! Thanks for sharing the recipe- I've got to try those.
Hugs,
Jill