Sunday, April 10, 2011

Last night.

It started as part of a dream. The loud crashing noise. The screams. The sound of breaking glass. As I slowly woke, the sounds became louder, more urgent....and I realised that it was more than just a late night party in the park. I ran outside the front door, and took in the scene across the road. The overturned car. The shirtless boys yelling at each other. The screams coming from inside the car. The young girls, bleeding and crying and wandering around aimlessly on the road. I waited for what seemed like an eternity on that phone. Waiting for someone, anyone, to answer the cries for help. They all started arriving at once. The police cars. The ambulances. The rescue vehicles. Trying to make sense of a scene that didn't make any sense at all to me. Why were these children, dressed up as adults, driving around in cars late at night with people they didn't know? Who would supply these kids with alcohol at such a young age? And why, oh why, do these kids think that they are unbreakable? I will never forget the blood. And I will hold my babies just that little bit closer, and pray that they are spared from the scene that I witnessed last night. TTFN xxx

11 comments:

Tracey Holdyk said...

my heart goes out to you, what an awful thing to have to experience. And I agree hug them all a little tighter and then some more.
Love me :-)

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

OMG - how awful! I hope no-one was seriously injured. Unfortunately it is a scene that is witnessed all too often. Sending lots of hugs your way.

Jan Quigley said...

It makes your blood run cold just thinking about it. My last 'baby' turns 16 next year & is already talking about getting his 'L' plates. I think & hope he will be sensible.

Linda said...

Gosh Susan, was anyone seriously hurt, did your 3 go outside and see it? Thank god Rob was home.

Tracey said...

My son has his L's at the moment and we are teaching him to drive...witnessed something very similar a few weeks ago close to our home. I did feel for him at the time, all he talked about was the blood. He has always been my worry.....so now even though it was terrible I'm glad he saw it. Hopefully he might think twice and make good decisions......Fingers and everything else is crossed.

Cardygirl said...

Scary stuff...thinking of you!

Lisa said...

Oh Suz, that sounds terrifying! Hope those kids recover and that you recover too. Witnessing that kind of thing is tramatic. Take care, my friend!

Chookyblue...... said...

such terrible news.......take care........

Scented Sweetpeas said...

oh my goodness that is a very shocking awakening! I hope it hasn't traumatise you too much. I do remember a time of feel invinsible but I still had morals and I think that is the key. xxxx

Jenni said...

How awful!

We can only hope that our own children have listened to our advice and make good choices!

GardenOfDaisies said...

It is so scary! There was an accident in front of our house about a year ago... I ran out there and tried to help until the police arrived.