Friday, March 26, 2010

Owl babies :)

"Once there were three owl babies: Sarah and Percy and Bill. They lived in a hole in the trunk of a tree with their owl mother. The hole had twigs and leaves and owl feathers in it. It was their house."

And so begins one of our family's very favourite books: Owl Babies by Martin Waddell. It was the inspiration for today's square :)


Now please excuse this little owl, for he is wet! Time was running out on me to take a photo of my square in daylight, so I snapped while he was drying. Why is he wet? Well, for some squares I need to draw in some lines before I stitch...so I have some idea where I'm stitching...and I use a very fine water soluble pen. I drizzle some water when the stitching is complete, and the blue lines magically disappear...so there you go! He also looks a little cross-eyed...LOL...but in real life he is very tiny, and those brown eye pupils are incredibly small and hard to get straight :) All that said, I think he is my new favourite!

Today is my darling little nephew's very first birthday (doesn't seem like a year since I shared that he had arrived!) and this is his birthday card...


Totally loving the Peter Rabbit scrapbooking supplies that are out at the moment!

I cut and Cuttlebugged on the silver paper using my old oval cutting system, and stuck the diecut on top. The "one" is sparkly too.
I made another card while I was at it...


...using another of the PR journaling cards, and other bits and bobs.
I'm off to a scrappy get-together tonight...can't wait! Have NO idea what I'm going to take to do, as my mojo is missing in action LOL, but maybe this is what I need to jump-start it? Hope to have some scrapping to share tomorrow (fingers crossed)
TTFN xxx



5 comments:

Vanessa said...

I remember Owl Babies from Early Starters. Callum still loves it and so do I. I was going to comment and say that the stitched house is my favourite but now I'm not so sure.......I quite like owls :-)

Tania Pelletier said...

I love your little owl too, he's adorable... crossed eyes and all! And the Peter Rabbit card is adorable as well, that reminds me... I have a BUNCH of Peter Rabbit stuff I've been collecting to make an altered book all about Peter Rabbit and Beatrix Potter... I need to get started on that!

Tania

GardenOfDaisies said...

Your little owl is very cute! I love that your inspiration for it was a children's storybook. That gives me an idea for one of my squares.

Your peter rabbit cards are sooo nice! I love Beatrix Potter stories and illustrations. She was an amazing woman for her time.

Scented Sweetpeas said...

aahh i love your little cross eyed owl - I think he looks all the more cute with he eyes like that :-)

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

What a precious reminder of story time! I used to love reading to my children when they were younger and we were regular visitors to the library. Martin Waddell was one of our favourite authors too - especially love You and Me Little Bear.

Love the Peter Rabbits cards - Happy Birthday to your little nephew.