Friday, April 27, 2012

Home Alone


Today...for the very first time in weeks...I find myself at home...alone.

As much as I adore my family, it is SO SO nice to have a little headspace, some time to breathe, some silence :) I also decided, very early this morning, that today I would do whatever I felt like...be that sleep, sew, fiddle, eat chocolate and drink bottomless cups of tea, scrapbook or any other activity that I desired (between school hours, anyway!)...without pressure.

I found myself flipping through photos on my desk, and came across some quilt photos that I had printed for my quilt journal.

What is a quilt journal, you may ask?



My quilt journal is a little book that my sister gifted to me several years ago which I use to keep a record of the quilts that I complete. As well as a photo and the date, I include the inspiration behind the quilt, some thoughts about it, and anything else I think may be of interest.


While it doesn't contain every single quilt I have ever made, it does contain quite a few of them.


I have a little stack of photos at the back, of quilts that I haven't written in to my journal yet, and I found one of my very first ever quilt! Want to peek?


It's the one on the bed, called Attic Windows. I remember sitting in a class at my local quilt shop, aged in my early 20's, fighting back the tears because my joins just would NOT meet! A queen size Attic Windows was definitely not a good choice for my first attempt, and it's a small miracle that my quilting journey didn't end there :)

On a side note...this quilt perished in a flooding accident a few years later, and it STILL had safety pins holding the binding on. LOL!

Before I head off to fiddle some more, I must show you the morning sky that greeted me this morning...


...breathtaking.

TTFN xxx




10 comments:

Sharon Manning said...

After seeing you the other night I know you needed a day like today....enjoy....thanks for the lovely comment on my blog too. MWAH xxx

Linda said...

Love the quilt journal, I have photos of quilts but need a journal like that to record all the details.

Linda said...

Love your quilt journal, I have heaps of photos of quilts but havent done anything with them.

Anonymous said...

Home alone, two nice words. ;D
Love your journal!

Cardygirl said...

What a nice day....love the pins in the binding story...I have a journal too...nice to reflect upon.

Linda said...

Oh I hope you enjoyed your day, sometimes is nice to do absolutely nothing.
See you tomorrow
Xx

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

memories are great, and such fun creating them! I love your quilt journal

Hope said...

Oooh, pretty sky!

I love your quilt journal. I ought to do something like that myself. I was thinking about a scrapbook page for each quilt, but a journal might be more readily completed.

I hope you enjoyed your day of 'me time'. I'm sure it was very well deserved, and needed.

Jenni said...

What a lovely idea the quilt journal is....

Anthea said...

Hi Suzi - what a lovely day you've had from start to finish. The journal is precious - don't photos & hand-written words give such a texture to the quilt-making process, that computers never could? Keep the journal going... x