Wednesday, June 2, 2010

How to be a Domestic Goddess...

...or at least pretend to be one :)

Nothing says "domestic goddess" like home baked slices, and while I don't claim to be a domestic goddess (FAR from it LOL), I do have a couple of fail proof, easy and delicious slice recipes to share today. I can't pick what I like most about these slices, but here are some good points:

1. The core ingredient is something most people throw away....I always use the dregs at the bottom of the Weet-bix packet to make these slices :)

2. They taste so delicious that, each Monday when I ask my kids what they'd like me to bake, the first one is always mentioned.

3. They freeze well...so can be whipped out of the freezer when unexpected guests arrive, and will be ready to eat by the time the jug boils (it is actually quite yummy frozen too...just don't chip your teeth!)

4. You can ice them while they are warm...a definite bonus for domestic goddesses in a hurry!

5. The smell of these slices baking fills your house with the most delicious aroma...nothing beats it!

6. You don't have to buy anything special to make them, and there is no sifting or beating involved.

You ready to start baking?

Orange Weet-Bix Squares


You will need:

150g butter
1 cup crushed weetbix
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup coconut
2 tblspns orange juice

Preheat oven to 180 degrees, and grease a 28cm x 19cm slice tin (or whatever tin you have on hand). Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Melt the butter and orange juice together (I zap them in the microwave) then pour into the dry ingredients. Press into the slice tin, and bake for around 20 minutes.

Ice with orange icing while still warm, and top with coconut!

While the oven is hot, you might as well make something else ;)


Chocolate Weet-Bix Slice
(recipe courtesy of Julieann)

You will need:

4 crushed weet-bix
1 cup flour
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup sugar
1 tblspn cocoa
70g butter
1/4 cup water

Melt margarine and mix into crushed weet-bix. Add remaining ingredients and press into a greased slice tin. Bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees.

Ice with chocolate icing and sprinkle with 100s and 1000s.

Hungry yet? ENJOY!

TTFN xxx

11 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

YUM! these look delicious! So a "slice" would be what we call a bar cookie. Right? I like the name slice much better and think I will start calling them that!

Anonymous said...

They sound like my kind of baking, easy!

Thanks for sharing... now, if you could just pop some in the post for me, all will be perfect!

Mis xo

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic Suzi !! Can you please let me know how you make your icing?
Debbie K

Janellybelly said...

Weet bix slice holds a special place in my heart, your versions look delicious.

Kris said...

Oooh.. Might have to give them a go tomorrow!! Yummmmmy

Linda said...

Yum hooray finally i have been waiting for you to give me this recipe for a while now there is two left the passionfruit one and the cherry one.
Susan makes the best slices....
xx

Scented Sweetpeas said...

oh my goodness I am so going to have to try these! yummy!

Tracey Holdyk said...

You have just made my kids day. They have been asking me to get the recipe since they had them at your place.
Love me :-)

Jenni said...

That's my kind of cooking!

Vanessa said...

Yum! We love weetbix slice. With egg and peanut allergies in this house these will be perfect. Thanks :-)

Beckie said...

They look delicious Suzi, Yummo!!